Thursday, February 23, 2012

I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 auto that is hard to start when the engine is cold.?

It always starts but it takes 5 to 7 seconds of cranking before it does. When warm, it starts right away. I am concerned that my starter will give out if this continues. The dealer effectively says to "live with it". The check engine light is not on, and there are no computer fault codes. The car has 95,000 miles on it and all normal maintenance has been done.

Does anyone have any ideas that I can try?

Thank you in advance.I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 auto that is hard to start when the engine is cold.?The fuel system is suppose to be in constant pressure even with the engine off. It might be that your fuel pressure is dropping after the engine shuts down (for a long time).



Try doing this: start the car cold (crank it for 5 to 10 second like you normally do). Let it run for about 5 seconds. Shut it off. Now try to start it again. If it started easily, then it is the fuel pressure problem (because now the pressure is back up). If it still have problems starting then it is probably something else (temp related).



I agree with your dealer, live with it. It is cheaper to replace a starter then to go chasing ghosts.





Good Luck...



P.S. I own 2000 Audi A4. Normally I would suggest you fix a problem while it still small before it become big problem. But I have a feeling this problem is not going to get any bigger.I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 auto that is hard to start when the engine is cold.?i dont know. But Great Car!I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 auto that is hard to start when the engine is cold.?I say don't fix something that's not broke. The starter might go bad, it might not.



I would suggest not going through a dealer for repairs, go to a reputable repair shop and ask for their advice.



You can also get alot of help at www.audiforums.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment